Thursday 25 September 2008

L'étranger

I have to say that I'm no longer the stealth foreigner that I thought I was! Tonight I decided that I'd had enough of porridge and weetabix dinners -Sarah's absconded you see, she's off on her jollies to Egypt and has left me to fend for myself! So, meal cheques in hand along with recycled bag, I headed off to Delhaize.

Thankfully DH isn't as over bearing as the colossal Tescos back home which means that I secretly don't mind going half as much. Our local DH actually has a really nice community feel to it which makes up for the lack of range, kind of.

Anyways, Sarah normally takes great delight in me visiting DH because I normally forget to weigh the fruit and veg. Which, as you can imagine, is now wearing a bit thin with the till ladies. I always forget coins for the trollies - my goodness we get these free back home to do what we want with them, can even dump them in rivers if we want! In fact, I think it's compulsory to dump them in the nearest river or underpass - Cumbernauld is a case in point.

So, tonight I head to the bakery. In Belgium you can choose for a number of uncut loaves and then you pop them in the slicer. Sounds easy doesn't it? Apparently not! Tonight dear reader, I made the basic mistake of sticking the bread in the slicer the wrong way around. Not only that, I also blocked the machine, and, erm there was a queue forming around me lol. Oops! Cue beamer! Luckily there was a DH person near by who - against all normal British health n safety protocol - stuck her hand in the machine and released the offending pieces of bread. And she also gave me another loaf free of charge, now you wouldn't get that kind of service in Tescos lol!

It's starting to get a wee bit chilly here too. But tonight was a nice night so I figured, I'm a Scot living on the exotic continent, I'll have my dinner on the terras. You see, coming from Scotland, we don't normally have the joy of a terras so I want to exploit it as much as possible. When my neighbours were drawing their curtains, I was sipping some wine wrapped up with my scarf and coat...bliss! I have to say that I'm utterly content living in Belgium :)


No comments: