Tuesday 3 February 2009

Refuse collection?

Sarah and I have every right to stand proud today. We have, for the second week in a row, actually managed to put out our rubbish bin. Not only that, we've put out the right colour too. Tomorrow is groenten day, otherwise known as kitchen waste - read as small green box that's too heavy to carry cos it doesn't come with wheels. Said green box is also a delightful, dredgy, sluicey hot bed for *gag* fruit flies and maggots *dry balk*

You see, when we first moved to Geel, we made an elementary mistake with the green bin. It was early one morning when Sarah was taking the bin out before work. I was in the bedroom when I heard Sarah cough very loudly with a dry, back of the throat sound to it. I cheekily shouted back 'hen, you better cut back on the hamlets!' No response came back, so I ventured out to see if she was ok only to discover my poor schat avoiding the dry heave with the offending green box nearby. The bin was on the terras, in the heat, and we'd put in some meat from a couple of days before. When schatje lifted up the bin lid she was horrified when she was greeted by leery big chunky maggots! Yuck! I'll spare you the pictures. Part of me is thinking I've written this story before...bear with me if I'm repeating myself lol.

After this we stored the bin in the garage instead of in the exposed heat of the terras, du-uh. The maggots persisted until one evening I gassed them with some cancer-inducing fly spray. This didn't kill them. Nothing short of a nuclear explosion would get rid of these things. So I spent the rest of that evening trawling the web for the best solution. Turns out that stomping on them is the best thing. Super-dyke Jo to the rescue with wellie boots an all. Fun. I have to say that squashing them gave me the same fulfilling feeling as popping bubble wrap.

Anyways, back to the point. Tomorrow we've done something a wee bit different. We've used a biodegradeable bag to put inside the green box, how exciting. We're now placing bets to see if the bin men will take it...

3 comments:

Sara said...

Another solution is boiling water. Just boil some in a water boiler and pour it over those damn beasts. They'll turn into these white hard-boiled maggots in no time, trust me.

Pathological procrastinator said...

Sara, I boiled about 14 kettles in between the stomping.

The only good thing about the water is that the maggots left a trail for me when they tried to escape, so I could easily hunt them down ;)

Sara said...

:D

It worked at our place, last summer. A pity it didn't at yours. Maybe they've evolved and became boiling water proof.

Brr.