Monday 7 January 2008

For whom the bell tolls

I've had the most relaxing break for a long time. Total bliss. Or so I'd hoped. Unfortunately for me, my sweetheart lives right on the door step of a *twitches nervously and coughs* beautiful cathedral. One that feels the need to chime it's bells every-fricken-morning at 7.50am!!! Picture the scene...Jo's first day off in Belgium...I sleepily kiss Sarah off on her way to work with that very content feeling that I'm rolling over and going back to sleep. I'm slabbering my way into my slumber when a cacophony of highly pitched bell chimes - that don't even sound like any sort of rhyme - start bellowing out from the nearby tower.

Now, I'm all for bell ringing, you know, on a Sunday at say midday when all of the worshippers need to be beckoned from afar. But please! Not on a week day. And definitely not on my holiday! Quite frankly, me buzzing my doorbell with my big toe sounds better! Why do they feel the need to ring the bells at this time in the morning?

I manage to work my way through this and get back to sleep. Only to be heart stoppingly awakened at 9.00am with the sound of an industrial drill coming from the floor below! Seriously, that totally freaked me out. Having lived in California, my natural reaction was to run to the door way and brace myself for an earthquake. You can imagine my despair when I realised that the workie on the first floor had checked in for his work day. I palpitated my way into the kitchen and ate a chocolate waffle to calm me down and headed back to bed, determined that I was going to have a lie in.

1 comment:

Dr.Pew said...

I did offer to have the workie asassinated didn't I? As far as the bells, they belong to God apparently. There's only so much a gal can do to protect her lover's lazy lie-ins ;-)