Sunday 6 January 2008

If it fits in a toaster, I can cook it.

I'm not known for my culinary skills. The girls' nites that I tend to have with Steffi and Helen always seem to gravitate towards Steffi's house more often than not. Unfortunately for Steffi, Helen and I are of the same ilk, although Helen does do a mean egg and chips!


I used a potato peeler for the first time in donkeys the other day when I was preparing a meal for Sarah. Once I'd figured out how her Belgian peeler worked I found it strangely therapeutic. See, I don't even own a peeler. When I shared my house last year, my room mate couldn't believe at the lack of "utensils" in my kitchen. That spurned me on to buy a grater...


Just before I came home, Sarah and I baked a cake together. That is to say, Sarah was the consultant and I was the grafter. It was the first time I've baked a cake all on my own *grin*. My initial motivation was really just to make the cake mixture and eat it. I didn't actually think a) that I could bake one or b) that I'd stay focused long enough to finish it off. It was made much easier by Sarah's guidance. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised that I actually enjoyed doing it. We smugly popped the cake in the oven and went off to watch a few episodes of Ugly Betty. Sarah kept saying that we should leave it in the oven for just another couple of minutes. When we finally took it out of the oven, twas slightly crispier than we'd expected. But once you got past the crusty top layer it was totally palatable!



For today's meal, I thought I'd be a wee bit experimental with my stir fry. Take heed of this advice dear readers, peanut butter (with bits), doesn't mix well with broccoli, red onions and garlic. What was I thinking?!

No comments: