Tuesday 9 June 2009

Belgian Belters


As much as I mock the songs on Belgian radio, it is by no means a reflection of my love for the local transmission. I stand proud when I say - Ik hou van Belg radio. I love the random mix of tunes, *cough,* continentals definitely have a different taste in music from the Brits - the tunes are all encompassing. I love the fact that the Proclaimers get air play here! I love that every time I get into my car, it's like travelling back in time (quite literally with the state of some of the roads around here, but that's another story).


What never ceases to surprise me though is the fact that Belgian djs will, very candidly, swear on the radio. And it's broadcast. There's no Mary Whitehouse over here folks. It shocked me at first but my British sensibility is getting use to it. I'm thankful actually, because it means that I get to hear the unedited version of that very catchy song by Ms Allen - 'Fuck you very much.' There's no way this would get airplay back on Old Blighty.

No comments: