Monday 20 August 2007

I love my bike

I went for a ride on my road bike tonight, in attempt to pedal my way to a better mood. It worked. There's nothing more satisfying than pulling off a track stand at a set of lights. Now, track stands are an acquired technique. Factor in clipless pedals, dodgy road surfaces, precipitation, wind, dumb drivers who stop within nanometres in front of your wheel, traffic lights that seem to take FOREVER to change, and the odd technical glitch. You get the drift.

I remember when I first started road biking. I was track standing at a set of traffic lights in Edinburgh. Here's me trying to look cool in all my gear with loads of traffic behind me. I get ready to balance my weight and then realise that my pedals have spun forward without any tension. My chain had slipped off. Before I had a chance to react, the not-so-cool-biker-chick
-still clipped into pedals- was no longer perpendicular to the ground. Now, the best way to deal with situations like this is to dust yourself down and then immediately, and I mean immediately, inspect your bike. Thus giving the impression that it was no biggy-smalls that you fell over, and indeed that you're tough enough not to be hurt. Also creates the impression that your steed is uber expensive.

There's definitely one thing that I'm envious of Belgium and the like, and it's the country's provisions for cycling. Cycling over there is the national sport, there are thousands of routes, clubs and races. People have respect for cyclists. In contrast, take my lovely home town of "What's it called - Scumbernauld." One of the last times I went riding, some local neds drove passed in a clapped out Vauxhall Corsa and lobbed a few chips in my direction. I'm not one normally who refuses a chippy, especially if it comes with some black pudding...But nothing irritates me more than people who flick their cigarette butts out of their car, not realising that it could hit you. I look forward to the day when I can have my revenge and squirt the contents of my water bottle through an offender's window.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jess said...

I'm having a flashback to Santa Cruz, 1998-ish, Ocean Avenue. I pull up to a light on my rusty Gary Fisher next to a chick decked out in full cycling gear on a Trek purchased with her textbook money, disc brakes all the way from Peta-frickin-luma, using clipless pedals for the first time. Light turns green. I go forward. She goes down...pasted to the asphalt and still stuck to her bike. Who was that girl again?

Pathological procrastinator said...

Eh, yes, one could argue that I'm very attached to my bikes lol. Thanks for the reminder Jess! I still have moments like that, but it seems to be after a really techincal ride - when I've actually managed to stay on my bike. We ride back into the least technical section, the car park, and who goes and falls in front of everyone?! Damn spuds!